The golden retriever is one of the most popular dog breeds in the US. Being one of the cutest dogs ever, this breed is very friendly and is a great dog breed to keep as a house pet. Golden retrievers are very cheerful and love being around humans. You can’t help but feel immense love for these dogs because they are just so cute.
The golden retriever’s gorgeous looks have a lot to do with its luscious, thick coat of fur. Whether it’s a dazzling shade of golden, or a majestic white color, you can’t help but be stunned by the beauty of a golden retriever’s coat. However, looks aren’t the only thing that makes the golden retriever’s coat special.
Are Golden Retrievers Double Coated?
Yes, golden retrievers are double-coated. These dogs have a lot of fur on them, and so you must take proper care of your dog and make sure that you regularly groom your furry friend. If you’re keeping your dog inside the house, then it is really important to take care of the extra hair on it. This regular grooming and trimming will allow you to keep your golden retriever’s shedding under control.
The double coat on the golden retriever is there to protect the dog in any season. In the warm weather, this coat sheds naturally as the dog no longer needs it. However, in colder regions, this double coat protects the dog from the harsh climate and helps it stay warm and fuzzy.
Getting to Know Your Golden Retriever: All About the Double Coat
Golden retrievers are famous for their long and luscious fur, but do you know why they have so much fur and what this fur does to protect your dog? As mentioned earlier, golden retrievers are double-coated, which means that they have two layers of fur. What are these layers of fur, and what is their purpose? Let’s find out.
The undercoat is the coat that is closest to the skin of your dog. It is also referred to as ‘down hair’ and mainly consists of wooly hair that is curly and wavy. It also helps in maintaining a layer of dry skin and hair that repels water and offers thermal insulation for a golden retriever.
The undercoat will grow quickly during the winter since it protects the dog from the cold weather, and it will shed during the summer when the weather gets warmer.
The overcoat is the top layer coat and is the luscious and beautiful golden fur that you love petting. It is also referred to as the guard layer and consists of long, straight, and coarse hair shafts that are above the undercoat. This layer also has gloss and pigmentation to give your retriever that shine that their fur is so famous for.
Grooming Your Golden Retriever
Regular grooming of your golden retriever can ensure that your dog looks neat and tidy at all times.
A golden retriever’s double coat means that it needs to groomed and trimmed more often than other dog breeds. Their double coat protects them from harsh weather conditions, but this also means for hair that needs to be trimmed in order to keep your dog looking neat and tidy.
It is also important to remember that long hair can tangle very quickly, which will cause your golden retriever a lot of pain. For this reason, as well as to protect it from fleas, you should trim your dog’s hair regularly.
oneisall Dog Shaver Clippers Low Noise Rechargeable Cordless Electric Quiet Hair Clippers Set for Dog Cat
- Built-in Li-ion Batttery. Rechargeable dog trimmer with built-in Li-ion battery is good for exceptional flexibility. It can also be used when charging so you dont have to worry that it will stop working and have half groomed dog.
- Safe and Sharp Blade. Upgrade stainless steel fixed blade and ceramic moving blade can provide excellent cutting performance. The blade sharp enough for a long time using. Detachable blades,easy to change and clean.
- Low vibration and ultra quiet design.The noise when working is only about 50 db, to help the pet feel at ease, not afraid cut hair any more.
- 4 guard combs(3mm/6mm/9mm/12mm). The adjustable clipping comb is applicable for clipping hair of different lengths; and the detachable guide combs make for quick, easy comb changes and increased versatility.
- Please Note: if your pets get long and thick hair, you need to use scissors cut shorter at first, otherwise the clippers may jam up and dont work properly.
Golden retrievers also require regular bathing in order to keep them healthy and clean. You should use a good, dog-friendly shampoo when bathing your golden retriever to ensure that no damage is done to the dog’s coat or the skin.
Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Shampoo, Vanilla & Almond, 16 Ounce
- Totally natural pet care, 100 percent bio degradable and cruelty Free
- Soap Free shampoo
- Heavenly scented
- Safe, Gentle and effective
- Avoid contact with eyes; Product is solely intended for use on Coat and skin; Flush thoroughly with clean Water if eye contact occurs; Keep out of reach of children; If swallowed (by humans), consult a physician
Regular clipping of the nails also falls under grooming. Long nails can be quite uncomfortable for a golden retriever, as they can change the way the dog walks and runs. Because dogs tend to walk on their toes, overgrown nails can cause them great distress in addition to compromising their posture. Your dog might also scratch you while you’re playing with it.
A pair of dog nail clippers can be used to do the job just right. However, you should take care not to cut the nails too close to the skin, since it can hurt your dog and can also cause its paws to bleed.
Dog Nail Clippers and Trimmer By Boshel – With Safety Guard to Avoid Over-cutting Nails & Free Nail File – Razor Sharp Blades – Sturdy Non Slip Handles – For Safe, Professional At Home Grooming
- ★ RECOMMENDED BY PROFESSIONALS: The Boshel pet nail clipper is an ergonomically designed Powerful and easy-to-use pet grooming tool, the nail trimmer is recommended by animal trainers, veterinarians, professional pet groomers and thousands of satisfied customers as the best pet nail clippers on amazon to use for medium and large dogs and cats.
- ★ CLEAN CUTS EVERY TIME: The pet nail clippers are made out of high quality 3.5 mm thick stainless steel sharp blades, it is powerful enough to trim your dogs or cats nails with just one cut, it will stay sharp for years to come for stress-free, smooth, quick and sharp cuts.
- ★ USER FRIENDLY DESIGN: The professional dog nail clipper is designed to keep you comfortable while grooming your pet at home, it features comfortable, easy grip, non-slip, ergonomic handles which stay safely in place in your hands to ensure ease of use and prevent accidental nicks and cuts.
- ★ SAFETY STOP SERVES AS A QUICK SENSOR: The dog grooming clippers is safely Outfitted with a safety stop blade that greatly reduces the risk of cutting nails too short and injuring your dog by cutting in to the quick.
- ★ BONUS: Free mini nail file included to file the sharp nails after cutting your dogs and cats nails ,it is placed comfortably in the left handle of the clipper.
Cleaning your golden retriever’s ears is also part of the grooming process. The inside and the outside of the ears need to be cleaned properly. Thinning shears can be used to keep the hair on the inside of the ears thin. This is a very important part of your dog’s grooming.
If the ears are not cleaned, it can lead to an ear infection, which is very painful for a dog. A good ear cleaning solution should be used to keep your dog’s ears clean. This year cleaning should be done on a weekly basis.
Pet MD – Dog Ear Cleaner Wipes – Otic Cleanser for Dogs to Stop Itching, Yeast and Mites with Aloe and Eucalyptus – 100 Count
- ADVANCED VETERINARY FORMULA Designed to Gently Clean, Deodorize and Dry Your Pets Ears
- GENTLE and SAFE for Regular Use which Prevents Ear Infections, Reduces Wax Build Up and Removes Debris in and Around the Ear
- 100 CONVENIENT, ALCOHOL FREE, Soothing and Non-Irritating Disposable Ear Wipes for Dogs. For Dogs Over 12 Weeks Old
- REDUCE Foul Ear Odor and Prevents Infection to Keeps Your Dog Happy and Healthy without Medication
- Made in the USA in Federally Regulated Manufacturing Facilities to Ensure Quality and Safety
The tail of your golden retriever should ideally look like a fan. You can do this by twisting the end of the tail and trimming it slightly near to the end, just below the tail bone. You can use your hand to slightly hold the edge and then you can trim it off.
Mentioned below are a few tools that you can use to trim the fur on your golden retriever.
Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Brush
Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Brush – Gently Removes Loose Undercoat, Mats and Tangled Hair – Your Dog or Cat Will Love Being Brushed with The Grooming Brush
- ★ THE PERFECT BRUSH TO GET ALL NASTY MATS OUT OF YOUR PET’S FUR – Hertzko’s Slicker Brush gently removes Loose Hair, and eliminates Tangles, Knots, Dander and trapped Dirt. WORKS GREAT ON DOGS AND CATS WITH ALL SIZES AND HAIR TYPES!
- ★ GET RID OF MATS WITHOUT HURTING HER - The bristles are FINE bent wires designed to penetrate DEEP into the coat and is really able to groom the undercoat well without scratching your pets skin!
- ★ EASY TO CLEAN – When you’re done brushing your pet, Simply click the button and the bristles retract back into the brush, Making is SUPER SIMPLE to remove all the hair from the brush, So it’s ready for the next time use.
- ★ YOUR PET WILL NOT ONLY ‘LOOK’ GOOD BUT ‘FEEL GREAT TOO! – Our brush Grooms and massages for a healthy coat, increasing blood circulation and leaves your pet’s coat soft and shiny. Your Pet will love being brushed !
- ★ COMFORTABLE, STRONG, AND DURABLE- Our Slicker Brush is especially designed with a COMFORT-GRIP and ANTI-SLIP HANDLE, which prevents hand and wrist strain no matter how long you brush your pet !
This is a very popular golden retriever grooming tool that is used to remove loose hair and tangled fur. This brush is very gentle on the skin of your dog because it has bent wires. It also has a self-cleaning feature and non-slip handle that make it all the more convenient to use. You need to firmly hold the brush and gently start brushing the fur of your dog.
It can help with the blood circulation of your dog and can also reach deep into the coat without scratching its skin. However, because of the many features that this brush has, it is slightly more expensive than other slick brushes. But the investment is definitely worth it, owing to the fact that it is durable and incredibly high-quality.
Slicker Pro Self Cleaning Brush
Pro Quality Self Cleaning Slicker Brush for Dogs and Cats – Easy to Clean Pet Grooming Brush Removes Mats, Tangles, and Loose Hair with Minimal Effort and Comfort – Suitable for Long or Short Hair
- Brush head size: 5 inches (125 mm) wide - For LARGE pet breeds - PERFECT for both long haired or short haired cats/dogs/puppies - The pet slicker brush EFFECTIVELY remove mats, tangles, dirt, and loose fur from your pet’s coats with MINIMAL effort
- Your DOGS and CATS will LOVE this pet grooming tool. It is made with your pet’s comfort and enjoyment in mind for a FUN and ENJOYABLE pet grooming experience.
- TAKES ONLY ABOUT 5 SECONDS TO CLEAN due to the slicker brushes CLEVER SELF CLEANING feature. Simply push the button, wipe, and the brush will be as good as new.
- Provides EXCELLENT pet grooming results for DOGS and CATS. Gentle on your pet’s skin and coat it features soft and flexible bristles for EASY AND EFFECTIVE brushing.
- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED by pet owners, vets, and professional groomers. It comes with a FREE dog grooming ebook and a LIFETIME FULL MONEY BACK MANUFACTURER GUARANTEE
This tool is not only soft on the golden retriever’s skin but also allows you to brush its double coat with ease. It also has a self-cleaning feature and is very comfortable to hold because of its tight grip. This brush is an excellent investment for the everyday grooming needs of your dog. It leaves the coat shiny, silky, and clean.
However, care should be taken to clean the brush properly after a few days of usage. In the case that you don’t, the self-cleaning feature can become a little stiff.
Petpawjoy Slicker Brush
PETPAWJOY Slicker Brush, Dog Brush Gently Cleaning Pin Brush for Shedding Dog Hair Brush for Small Dogs Puppy Yorkie Poodle Rabbits Cats
- SLICKER BRUSH FOR CAT DOG - Gently removes loose undercoat, eliminates tangles, knots, dander and trapped dirt, perfect cat dog deshedding brush, fits long and short hair coat.
- ROTATABLE DOG BRUSH - turn this dog grooming brush pins in ^ shape, you can use it for grooming; in V shape, for massaging, suitable for yorkie poodles puppy and other pet.
- CAT DOG MASSAGE BRUSH - Doing massage for your pet is good for preventing skin disease and increasing blood circulation.
- GROOMING BRUSH - Grooming Brush is really able to groom the undercoat well without scratching your pets skin. Practical grooming brush for yorkie maltese guinea pig rabbit and other pet.
- PET MASSAGE BRUSH - massage for your pet is good for preventing skin disease，Massaging particles wont scratch your pet，and increasing blood circulation.
You should definitely own this tool if you have a golden retriever puppy. It can be used very effectively to brush the coat of your puppy and to massage the puppy, too.
Andis Pet Steel Grooming Comb
This comb can be used to comb the double coat of your golden retriever. Combing your golden retriever’s fur using this brush will leave its coat look much neater and will give your dog a well-groomed look.
Pack Pet Comb by Hertzko
Hertzko 2 Pack Pet Combs Small & Large Comb Included for Both Small & Large Areas -Removes Tangles, Knots, Loose Fur and Dirt. Ideal for Everyday Use for Dogs and Cats with Short or Long Hair
- ★ THE PERFECT COMB TO REMOVE TANGLES, LOOSE & SHED FUR FROM YOUR PETS COAT - Hertzkos combs gently removes loose hair, and eliminates tangles, knots, dander and trapped dirt. WORKS GREAT ON DOGS AND CATS WITH ALL SIZES AND HAIR TYPES!
- ★ SUITABLE FOR BOTH SMALL & LARGE AREAS - Package includes a small and large comb for your convenience.
- ★ NO SCRATCH ROUND TEETH - Smooth ROUNDED ENDS prevents scratching, making is SAFE on your pet’s sensitive skin.
- ★ YOUR PET WILL NOT ONLY LOOK GOOD BUT FEEL GREAT TOO! - Our comb grooms and massages for a healthy coat, increasing blood circulation and leaves your pets coat soft and shiny. Our comb is perfect for finishing and fluffing.
- ★ COMFORTABLE, STRONG, AND DURABLE- Our combs are especially designed with a COMFORT-GRIP RUBBER ANTI-SLIP HANDLE, which prevents hand and wrist strain no matter how long you comb your pet!
Included in this comb set are small and large combs that you can use to effectively cover all the areas of your dog’s coat. This complete coverage of the coat will make it look as neat and well-groomed as possible. The rubber handle ensures a good grip while you’re using this comb.
Pet Magasin Grooming Scissors Kit
Pet Magasin Grooming Scissors Kits – (2 Pairs – 1 for Body & 1 for Face + Ear + Nose + Paw) – Sharp & Strong Stainless Steel Blade Dog Grooming Scissors with Round Tip Top for Dogs & Cats
- 【TWO SCISSORS】A complete pet-grooming set with 2 pairs of scissors: a longer pair with smooth blades for trimming body fur, and a smaller pair with micro-serrated blades for close work on your pets face and paws
- 【SAFE】SAFE FOR YOUR PETS - Rounded tips for safety. No need to worry about poking your pets skin with these round-tipped scissors. Safer to use around the face and ears
- 【FINEST MATERIALS】Finest quality surgical stainless steel blades. Pre-sharpened to a fine cutting edge to snip through the thickest fur and the toughest tangles
- 【ADVANCED MANUFACTURING】Cushioned handles and extra finger rest for maximum comfort during long grooming sessions
- TRUSTED BY 300,000+ AMAZON CUSTOMERS - More than 2000+ 5 Stars reviews with 300+ of recommendation for professional groomers.
The ideal grooming kit for a golden retriever should also contain a pair of scissors. You can use these scissors to trim around the small areas like the ears and the feet. This pair of scissors comes in two sizes so that you can conveniently use whichever one suits you. It has handles that provide an easy grip and rounded tips that ensure added safety.
Sharf Gold Touch Pet Shears
Thinning shears are used to remove extra bulk from a golden retriever’s coat. The extra bulk is there due to the fact that golden retrievers are double coated. The edges can also be softened using this tool. This particular pair is made of Japanese stainless steel, which means that it is a really high-quality product. It can be used for styling your golden retriever as well as for debulking.
Pet Magasin Pet Thinning Shears
Pet Magasin Pet Thinning Shears – Professional Thinning Scissors with Toothed Blade
- Premium quality Thinning shears for thinning out pets Fur and blending shorter and longer fur areas. Provides a professional finishing touch to grooming, leaving the Fur looking smooth and natural
- 28 teeth on the serrated comb blade make this a good general-purpose Thinning shear
- Pre-sharpened to a perfect cutting edge, The surgical Stainless Steel blades will stay sharp through Many hours of use
- Comfortable molded handles with an Extra finger rest ensure an ergonomic grip and comfortable use over long grooming sessions. Can be used either right- or left-handed
- Manufactured and sold by Pet Magasin, These scissors come with a 2-year warranty and 100% money-back guarantee
This is one of the best grooming tools for golden retrievers. It has a 28 tooth comb blade that is really sharp and is made of surgical stainless steel. You should definitely invest in this tool if you own a golden retriever.
Should I Completely Shave Off My Golden Retriever’s Coat?
It was mentioned in the previous section that the overcoat of your dog is designed to protect it in all weather conditions, which is why you shouldn’t think about shaving it. By shaving the coat, you can seriously compromise the way your dog’s natural double coat acts to protect their body. Dogs tend to sweat from the pads of their feet, while they release excess heat through panting.
So, shaving the shiny and beautiful double coat of your golden retriever won’t help in making them cooler, but will instead expose their skin to the heat and the sun which can cause them to fall sick. Golden retrievers were bred primarily to retrieve waterfowl, which is why their double coat acts as a water repellant as well. The coat of your dog is also designed to keep dirt away from its skin and can be easily brushed off.
Our Final Thoughts
So, after considering all these things, you should not fully shave off your golden retriever’s fur. If you are worried about your golden retriever suffering during the summer heat, there are other ways you can help it cool down. The best thing you can do is to keep trimming the fur using the tools mentioned above. This will ensure that your golden retriever remains neat and tidy. Alongside looking cute and fluffy, your dog will also be able to beat the summer heat if it is groomed regularly.
More Golden Retriever Info: